Friday, November 30, 2007

Flashback Friday - My 1st Birthday

Just one picture would not suffice for this Flashback Friday post. Both of these pictures were taken at my 1st birthday party and I chose them both for different reasons. NOTE: I had a phase of intense scrapbooking interest, so a lot of my pictures have the tacky scissor cut outs. Sorry mom. And sorry to myself. What was I thinking?

Obviously, I don't remember a lick of what happened on this day. I was one. Let's remember that. So, anything said in this post is my most educated guess as to what I was thinking at this time. Actually, I probably wasn't thinking anything other than, "oh, pretty presents," or "Yum, big cake."
This leads me into my first thought. Look at my cake. Holy crap. What 1 year old has a cake that big?? It looks like a freaking wedding cake. Two tiered with fresh flowers and everything. All my mom needed to do was add on a miniature bride and groom and I would have been set for life. Since this birthday, my birthday cakes have no where neared this type of creation. I mean, I chose cupcakes for my birthday cake this year. Clearly, I have lowered my expectations and have excepted the fact that no birthday will every compare to my first.

I love this picture:
I like to think that this was probably my reaction when I saw that fantastic birthday cake. My life was awesome! Gosh, I was stylish too. Thanks mom! I love my little jumpsuit outfit, complete with ruffled straps and a cute bow that tied in the middle.

I think I am going to request a replica of this birthday cake on my next birthday. I mean, this past birthday I turned 25 and my insurance lowered by over half. What do I get when I turn 26? Nothing. So, awesome cake it is.

12 comments:

alisa said...

To guarantee myself a huge birthday cake for my upcoming birthday (in 9 months), I bid on and won a "special occasion" cake at our holiday auction. This lady makes beautiful wedding cakes. So, basically, I'm planning on having a 5-tiered birthday cake this year. I'm so excited!!! Just one more reason to love my birthday.

Daybreaking Dickersons said...

I had a tiny cake for my first birthday. But it was all my own. Everyone else at the party had to share. I didn't want to get my hands dirty, so I dug in face first.

Miranda at Marz Haus said...

These are great pictures, Natalie. Your 1st birthday cake was incredible. And I think you still make the "I AM SO HAPPY" face in the second photo, usually when you see me walk into work in the morning.

erica s said...

I think I still see you make that face in your last picture when you get excited! ;)

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Wow, Tell Penel I am super impressed, that is quite the b-day cake, and you weren't even the first child! WOW! I do also think that you look ADORABLE!

chipsgirls said...

Look who found your blog. You have got to be the best blogger yet. I felt like I was back at VBFA listening to all your stories. You have the longest friend list I have ever seen. When can we do lunch?
joni

alisa said...

i just remembered my first birthday cake. my mom was the activities person in the ward and the ward summer barbeque was my 1st birthday. that means i had a huge cake then too. however, i'm pretty sure i only got a little piece rather than free reign to jump in.

Amy said...

I also suffered the same crazy scissoring during my scrapbook phase. This is why I don't scrapbook any more, I don't want to look back and see the scrapbook fad of the moment reflected in my memories!

Nicole said...

wow, look at penel, getting all fancy with a baby's birthday cake. it really makes you wonder what hailey's first cake looked like, she being the first kid and all.

Kim / Belly Button and Co. said...

NATALIE......THAT IS THE CUTEST PICTURE EVER!!!!!!

youngfam said...

Love it! Stocktons 1st birthday is comming up... i am inspired. Just kidding i could never do that- i'm thinking cupcakes. You have one talented mom =)You look super cute too!

Unknown said...

Okay, I love reading your blogs! And I love the baby photos! It makes me wanna go through and post some of mine! So fun! Hope all is swell.