Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Must Read.. and Must See!

I used to not like reading. Not for pleasure and definitely not for school. The latter never changed. My dislike of reading might have stemmed from when I was young and my mom made us read books while we were out of school for the summer. I would rather have been swimming in the local neighborhood pool, enjoying the hot summer sun than nose deep in a fictitious novel.

However, I had a roommate (Melissa) while I did my internship in DC that loved to read. Since I had a 30 minute metro ride to and from work each day, I decided to take Melissa's advise and read The Lovely Bones. I instantly fell in love with reading. Within the 4 month span of my life in DC, I read about 7 books. Something that I can't ever remember doing in such a short amount of time.

One of my favorite books, I read last year at this time. It was The Other Boleyn Girl. A quick synopsis:

When Mary Boleyn comes to court as an innocent girl of fourteen, she catches the eye of Henry VIII. Dazzled by the king, Mary falls in love with both her golden prince and her growing role as unofficial queen. However, she soon realizes just how much she is a pawn in her family's ambitious plots as the king's interest begins to wane and she is forced to step aside for her best friend and rival: her sister, Anne. Then Mary knows that she must defy her family and her king, and take her fate into her own hands.

A rich and compelling tale of love, sex, ambition, and intrigue, The Other Boleyn Girl introduces a woman of extraordinary determination and desire who lived at the heart of the most exciting and glamorous court in Europe and survived by following her own heart.

Honestly, I read this sucka in 2 days. And it is about 700 pages. Literally, I couldn't put it down. Now, I am not the only one to feel this away about this book. I took the book from my sister Hailey after she read it in 2 days. Then I gave the book to Megan and I believe she read it in no time.

And, on February 29th, my favorite book will be in a theater near you. For all those that want to join me, I will be there on opening day. Here is the trailer....if this doesn't get you interested in the book, I don't know what will.


4 comments:

Daybreaking Dickersons said...

You read? What a loser.

The District Girls said...

I loved it too and for the metro ride I ran out of books to read since I have read almost 20 since I moved! I am always looking for good ones.

Nicole said...

i haven't read it yet, but that preview totally made me want to see it! i bet i could read it between now and february...

Sarah said...

Yes please! Hello Mr. Hotness! If we were naughty girls we also would be keeping up with the Tudors on HBO, which is essentially the same story, but with a lot more HBO qualities (nudge, nudge).