Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Amazing Date: Part 1

So the Amazing Date happened this past weekend. And there are so many ridiculous things I could blog about I honestly don't even know how to gather my thoughts. Seriously, I should have brought a notepad to take scrupulous notes on the level of entertainment that was achieved this Saturday night.

The entire group of 200 single people all had a meet at an office building where we mingled, listened to the boring "date doctor" and then have the most awkward pairing situation of our lives.

First off, I absolutely loved how "done up" everyone was. It was lovely. 200 of my closest friends all looking and smelling good hoping beyond hope that they end up on a date with their #1. Oh, and if they didn't want to make this whole date even more awkward, they (the creators of the group) decided that they would crown a King and Queen of the Amazing Date. The male and female that had the most people put them in their "top ten" were crowned. Seriously. Ridiculous. I kind of felt like I was back in high school again.

The "Date Doctor" did make a few good points. But her delivery could have used some serious work. What I took away from her is that I shouldn't judge so quickly. Yes lady, I know that. I am working on it. I didn't need you to tell me that. I have my mother, grandmother, sister, aunt, cousin, great-aunt, second cousin, younger brother, dad, coworker and friends all telling me that. I think we got it covered.

Anyway, so we didn't find out who we were being set up with until after the mingling and date doctor shenanigans. The anticipation was killing me. Seriously, just tell me who I am going out with. It was a little bit like Christmas morning.

And so, the way they told us who we were going out with was by calling your name and your dates name over the microphone and making you walk out of the room together. Yes, sufficiently awkward.

Want to know what was even more awkward? They got my name mixed up with someone else's so for about 3 minutes I didn't think I had a date.

I may or may not have sent the following text messages to my friend Nicole:

Um, they don't have a date for me. This is the saddest day of my life.

which was followed two minutes later by this:

False alarm. They found him. I'm not going to kill myself.

And so, stay tuned for the actual date story. It's a good one. You won't be disappointed.

3 comments:

Rae said...

Wow. Really? That sounds awful. King and Queen?????? REALLY?

Let the Good Times Roll said...

Can't wait for the details... who was the date doctor and who was crowned king and queen - you so should have taken a picture with your camera phone, that would have been hilarious!

Anna said...

The anticipation is killing me.